"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." - Forest Gump

Friday 24 January 2014

Why I don't attend functions held on 15 August & 26 January




15 August & 26 January have a very special place in the hearts of Indians (and Pakistanis). On 15 August 1947, India became independent. Before that, the British ruled our nation for over 150 years. I don't have to get into detailed account of how we won our freedom, but it's important to note that we did.


Now the point of discussion here is, why I don't attend functions held on the two most important days in India's history. Am I anti-nationalist? Am I any lesser patriotic than any other Indian if I don't attend them? I have simple answers for them, but before I tell you what they are, I have to discuss some issues associated with these important dates.


The first problem is, many Indians, after 66 years of independence, have forgotten what freedom means and to love one's motherland. Instead of celebrating independence with each & every day of our calendar year, we have started to celebrate it for two days. Many Indians, for some reason, believe that they are patriots & love their country if they celebrate independence for two days; it is nothing less than a delusion as love for their motherland is soon forgotten in a few days time. It is stupid to love your own country for merely two days instead of loving her for 365 days of the calendar year. I don't really blame them. When we all were in school, colleges or in similar educational institutions, we all did the same. Probably that's the reason we continue to do so in our adult life. But that is no excuse for this grave mistake. When we were kids, various functions were held for only two days not because they couldn't but because they didn't think it was necessary. Now in our adult life, if we choose not to love our independence throughout the the year, that is our fault and not school’s.


Before we continue, I want to point out that, there is nothing wrong in celebrating independence on these two dates. I'm not saying you shouldn't celebrate our independence. I'm saying the feeling you have when you celebrate independence day on two occasions, should be same throughout the calendar year. And NO, i'm not anti-nationalist either. I do love my country and I do celebrate independence day and republic day but I do so in a different way than you people.


Now secondly, many Indians have started to give independence day a glamorous look. By glamorous I mean, people dress up in Khadi or white clothes, go out & have fun. While I'm not against the glamorization of Indians, I am, however, against the fashion business industry which uses these important days for promotion of their company's clothes. I am also against people who think that they are more patriotic than the rest of the people just because they wore special clothes. It is wrong of people to send a message that, you are patriotic just because you own/bought/wore white clothes or Khadi & wore it for two days. If you really love your country, why don't you start wearing similar clothes throughout the year?


Thirdly, many Indians have started to look at these two important dates as 'Holidays'. I'm deeply hurt when people refer to these dates as a holidays instead of an anniversary of something remarkable. It is very shallow and stupid, to refer to these dates as 'Holidays'.


Fourthly, suddenly when these two dates are near, people, mostly children, start buying national flags. How idiotic that is. If you think you are patriotic by buying these flags, think again; they should be given respect and should be with you throughout the year & not only on two occasions. By buying national flags, and attending functions held, you are not going to be a patriot. Instead of paying respects to these flags that they deserve, they are later found in the garbage or on the streets. How pathetic is that.

India's flag and emblem



So far we have seen the problems related to these dates in short. Now I would like to tell you the reason for my absences from functions held on concerned dates. The reason is, for me, love for India or motherland is not bound by time or date. I love my India every day & my love for her never deteriorate like the rest of the Indians. I don't feel any less patriotic on any other day than I do on these days. I love my national flag & anthem (and song) on all days of a year. It is as simple as that. Secondly, no show off is needed. If you really love your country, you should not just talk about it, but you should act on it. In other words -
"action speaks louder than words."

Thirdly, the most important thing that I do is respect my constitution. We have, in our constitution, some fundamental rights & duties. Just as one knows and uses his/her own fundamental rights, one should also perform his/her fundamental duties. I not only use my fundamental rights prescribed in the constitution but also abide by fundamental duties prescribed in the same constitution. We forget the fact that we have some moral or ethical obligations towards our country.


And finally, My love for India is not a one night stand, it is a lifelong commitment to my motherland.


So this year, when you go out to buy white/Khadi clothes, remember that you are not supposed to. Remember to respect our national flag and national anthem - be careful with the national flags. Remember, it’s not a ‘Holiday’ but celebration of anniversary of something remarkable.


Jai Hind, Jai Bharat.


Written by Rishikesh Pande

0 comments:

Post a Comment